March 10, 2014

Teardrop (Teardrop #1) by Lauren Kate

Title: Teardrop (Teardrop #1)
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publish Date: October 22, 2013
Genre: Romance, Paranormal, Fantasy, Young Adult
Rating: 2/5 Stars

Never, ever cry... Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean. And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense. Can everything you love be washed away?

*Warning: this review will contain spoilers.*

I'm going to come right out and say it: I was massively disappointed by this book. I've read Lauren Kate's other books - all four novels in the Fallen series, in fact. They weren't the greatest books I've ever read, that was for sure, but they were decent. I could get through the books without too much of a struggle and the paranormal aspects weren't bad, either. Because of this, I was really hoping Teardrop would be at least as decent as the others, if not better. But it wasn't.

The beginning held promise. The characters weren't half bad, the plot seemed to be moving along smoothly, I was intrigued by the fantasy aspects...but it went downhill from there.

Nothing happened in the middle of the book. Eureka went places with Cat. She kept seeing Ander. She went more places with Cat. She thought. She remembered Brooks was supposed to be her friend. She saw some more of Ander. Throughout these sightings of Ander (emphasis on sightings - half the time she didn't even talk to him) she realized she had growing feels for him. For this boy who was practically stalking her. What?

And then she had the huge fight with Brooks, and weird things were going on with him. He was betraying her, not acting himself. The only thing was, I didn't think he was all that different. Sure, he was being completely rude and a terrible friend, but people can be like that - sometimes for no reason whatsoever. That doesn't mean they're possessed. There wasn't a drastic enough change for it to work.

The romance was awful. So, so insta-lovey. I didn't even like Ander. I loved Brooks so much more, and he was possessed. That's probably saying something. Then again, Ander was a creepy stalker, so I don't think either of them should really seem that attractive... But it made me so mad when Eureka just decided to completely give up on Brooks. By the end of the book, she said she had the urge to tell Ander she loved him. They knew virtually nothing about each other at that point. GAH.

The ending was completely uncalled for, and none of it made sense. I don't feel like going into details. Basically, it wasn't what it should have been.

Still, Teardrop gets two stars. Why? Brooks. He was the only remotely interesting character, and I actually really loved the epilogue. I think the epilogue should be taken out of the book and used as a piece to kick-start an entirely new novel. I also liked the fact that Eureka wasn't your typical sixteen-year-old, straight A student, and perfect girl. She was a little more messed up, and her past went a little deeper. That was one refreshing aspect of this book that I don't see very often.

Okay, I'm sort of done talking about this. It's making me really frustrated. So unless you're a fan of insta-love and you don't mind a pretty slow plot, you're not going to enjoy Teardrop.

No comments:

Post a Comment