March 23, 2014

Sunday Spiel: Stand-Alones vs. Series


Hi everyone! Today is the last day of Spring Break for me, which means school tomorrow. Ugh.

Before I get into this, I'd just like to say these are my opinions. I am in no way saying that you should have these opinions or that mine are correct. This is simply a post open to discussion, and you're free to share your opinions as well. :) I love hearing them!

So. Stand-alones vs. series. I like both for different reasons. If I had to choose one I prefer over the other, I'd probably choose stand-alones. I don't know what it is, but there's something about having a single book that you really love and reread over and over again that I just love. Series aren't the same, in that there are multiple books in the series, some are worse than others, you have more than one to reread, etc. And the most obvious - no waiting for sequels.

Stand-alones are more satisfying than series. They have a certain finality to them that series just don't have - unless, of course, you marathon the entire thing and it has a really solid ending. But even then, it's not the same. Stand-alones also tend to be less complicated. Sometimes with series I find that I have to remember all these little details and an endless array of characters. But a single book is so much more simple.

Then again, you can get more into series because they're so detailed. Especially if they have great characters and a good plot line. There are more books to fangirl over. :) The anticipation of a new book in the series (if it's not already completed) can also be really awesome. Torturous, but it gives you something to look forward to.

There are also companion novels, which are probably an entire discussion in and of themselves. But they act as a series in the sense that the books are written in the same fashion and some of the characters from previous books appear in the sequels. Still, you can read them out of order the way you would read a stand-alone. I adore companion novels.

What about you? Do you prefer series of stand-alones? Why?

1 comment:

  1. I usually don't mind if it's a series or Stand Alone... except when it comes to a series, we're stuck with cliffhangers. Unless the entire series has already been published *coughs* Shatter Me Trilogy *cough*

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete