March 2, 2014

Sunday Spiel: Rereading Books


Hey everyone! It's March already. I can't believe it. This year is already flying by.

Before I get into this, I'd just like to say these are my opinions. I am in no way saying that you should have these opinions or that mine are correct. This is simply a post open to discussion, and you're free to share your opinions as well. :) I love hearing them!

Today I want to talk about something that I don't do often, and that is reread books. I've probably only reread a handful of books in my entire life. There are a few reasons for that, the first one being that there are way too many books on my TBR pile for me to go back and reread books I've already read. I just have so many new books I need to get into, series I need to start - there isn't time!

The second reason is that it isn't often I find a book I actually want to reread. I think I'm a bit picky when it comes to books, and especially when it comes to characters. I've read John Green's Looking for Alaska either two or three times, I can't remember. Alaska really stuck with me even after I finished the book, and so that was my reason for rereading it. 

There are also books from when I was a lot younger that I still reread, just because it reminds me of when I was a little third grader. The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester is one of those books. I can't even count how many times I've read it. I adored it so much that I went and bought it (I had borrowed it from the library originally) right after I finished it and then read it again. I still pick it up sometimes when I'm having a bad day and just need to escape to a story I know well - even if it is a children's book.

And how could I forget Harry Potter? I've read the series a couple of times, and I think I've read the third book more than any of the others because it was - and still is - my favorite. Back when I read it as an eight-year-old the way everything tied together at the end astonished me. I was in awe. I still remember the day I finished it. I was sick at home from school, and I spend the entire day finishing the book after it arrived in the mail.

Another time I'll reread a book (or two) is if there's a final book in the series that has been released and I have no idea what went on in the first few novels. This happens more often than not, and I'm either forced to look up a summary or just reread the entire series. I generally end up rereading the books, unless I'm feeling particularly lazy, because I find the conclusion is a lot better if I do so.

So there it is! The many reasons I reread books. The first one is by far my favorite - when I love a book so much that I want to spend time with the characters again and again.

Do you reread books? What kind of books stick with you and why?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you that I rarely re-read books. There is not enough time and too many new shinies to read. Sometimes I re-read if it has been a long time since I read the book and the movie is coming out. I've been doing that with the Hunger Games series. By the way the 3rd one is my favorite HP book as well :) Time turner FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also rarely re-read books. It's hard to find the time to. But books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, or as you said, books that I read when I was younger are definitely the kind of books I do re-read. I also usually re-read a book before I see the movie, as I will do with Divergent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a re-reader at all. Recently I just re-read the Hunger Games and Divergent series, and those were the first books I've re-read in basically forever...like at least 10 years, I think. That experience made me realize that, while it's not something I want to do very often, I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm definitely going to be more open about re-reading books in the future. The next series I want to re-read is Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete