March 9, 2014

Sunday Spiel: Libraries


Hey! Sorry I haven't been around since Wednesday. I didn't finish a book in time to write a review, and I hadn't been to the bookstore or library so there was nothing to do for a STS. I've been reading more, though, so that should change pretty quickly.

Before I get into this, I'd just like to say these are my opinions. I am in no way saying that you should have these opinions or that mine are correct. This is simply a post open to discussion, and you're free to share your opinions as well. :) I love hearing them!

Today's topic is something I've covered in a way. I talked about buying books vs. borrowing them about a month ago. But I didn't exactly talk about libraries, and my love-hate relationship with them, and the fact that every time I go I end up staying for hours, which is why I don't go in the first place.

I went to the library today (hence the topic). I headed straight for the YA section, and it only took fifteen minutes for me to have a stack of fifteen books in my hand. That's a book a minute, and I could have stayed there for hours. Needless to say, that would have been a lot of books. So I forced myself to take a bunch off the stack (it's so hard, though - I can never decide which ones I want to keep and which ones I want to put back on the shelf), and ended up with about eight.

There you go. Eight books. They're now sitting in a stack in my room. But here's the deal:

If I read one of those books and end up really liking it, I'm going to want to keep it. But I have to return it to the library. If I read one of the books and end up hating it, I'll be mad at myself for checking it out in the first place and it will probably just sit in my room, waiting for me to get up and go return it. Which I won't do for a while. Both of this situations make me so frustrated.

And what does that lead to? Library fines. There's a library at my school, which means it's not that difficult for me to return books - I can just drop them off on my way to class. But on the weekends and in the summer I have to go to my public library, which is a lot farther than down the hall. So I rack up a huge amount of library fines, especially in the summer. I'm not even going to tell you how much money I wasted by not returning books to the library last summer, because it's really embarrassing.

But while I have a tendency to add up library fines until I'm not even allowed to check out books anymore, I also love being in the library itself. I love how quiet it is, I love the rows upon rows of books stacked in neat rows, I love how I'm (usually) surrounded by other people who love books just as much as I do.

There you have it. My love-hate relationship with libraries. I can't wait to get started on my stack of books, though. :)

Do you use libraries? If so, how often? Why do you like or dislike them?

6 comments:

  1. I love my library. Okay, ADORE is a better word. I'm always quite mortified if I ever get a fine. >.< So I'm usually pretty good. Our library is in the middle of town, but my sister has music lessons in the building next door so I always have an excuse to go in or return/collect books. Seriously, if I didn't have the library I wouldn't be a book reviewer. The library showed me how awesome YA books are. I hate returning my favourites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I get them all the time, though, so I'm a bit more used to it now. It's true, though. I mean, who could pass up free books?

      Delete
  2. I also adore libraries, just because they are like a safe haven. I have one within walking distance and it's a great way to get outside and exercise on a sunny day, and getting to read and pick out numerous books. The ladies there are always really nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kinda with you, I hate having to physically go into a library and find when one is actually OPEN during hours that I feel like going, and then having to give the books back. I've been using the digital checkouts of ebooks and audiobooks cause I don't have to leave to go anywhere, and then when my time is up, the books just disappear and go back to the library. No fines! Try that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should get into the whole e-book thing, but random, weird fact about me - I can't focus when I read digitally. I get distracted extremely easily, and it takes me forever to finish a book. I don't even know why. That is a great idea, though.

      Delete