February 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday 2.4.14: Books That Make You Cry

Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Hellooo. Today's topic is, as you can see, books that make you cry. For me, this could very well be any book in existence (I'm a crier), but I'll try to narrow it down.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling - The final book in the Harry Potter series. Practically the end of my childhood. How could I not cry? Besides, so much death! Gah.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - This is such a unique book, and definitely sad. I mean, it's about a girl who commits suicide and leaves tapes explaining thirteen reasons why she ended her life.

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - Because this book is pretty much about the Russian holocaust during WWII, I cried the entire time I was reading. It was so, so good, though. 


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - For those of you who have read it, this doesn't need much of an explanation. I sobbed like a baby. If I reread it, I'm sure I would cry just as hard.

Allegiant by Veronica Roth - I saw that ending coming, but it was still so shocking. My review of this book, as a result, ended up being ridiculously long and full of me ranting.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson - I read this book around fall of last year, I think? Morgan Matson quickly became one of my favorite YA contemporary authors. 


The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey - This actually didn't seem like the type of book that would make me cry at first, but it did. Not even one hundred pages in, actually. If you're not a crier, you probably won't, but I get emotional really easily...

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - I love contemporary, but the way I see it, there are two kinds in YA: fluffy and real. Eleanor & Park is anything but fluff. It's real and emotional and beautifully written. So yeah. I cried a lot at the end.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Such a unique book. It's written from the POV of Death, and the characters in this book are what really make it. The plot was slow at points, and it was sort of like all these fragments of the main character's life. But the ending really shook me up.

I guess that was only nine. Anyway...that's all I have for today. I'll talk to you guys soon! :)

7 comments:

  1. We have three of the same; Allegiant, Thirteen Reasons Why and The Fault in Our Stars. I really need to read Second Chance Summer, I've heard such great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second Chance Summer is such an awesome book! It's a summer book though, so it's best to read it during that time. :)

      Delete
  2. I bawled in Allegiant. I just...she couldn't...no. Just no. I loved it, but I still bawled. And also in TFIOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Same here. I totally got why Veronica Roth did what she did, but it was still heartbreaking.

      Delete
  3. Such a great list. All of them that I've read I cried during, too! (I'm a crier :') )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a crier, as well. I've cried in way more books than just these. :)

      Delete
  4. I definitely cried while reading the last Harry Potter book, The Fault in Our Stars, and The Book Thief. I didn't cry while reading Allegiant or Thirteen Reasons Why, but the rest of the books on your list are on my TBR list, so I'll have to remember to break out the tissues when I read those ones!

    ReplyDelete