February 10, 2014

This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl

Title: This Star Won't Go Out
Author: Esther Earl (Lori Earl, Wayne Earl, John Green)
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Publish Date: January 28, 2014
Genre: Non Fiction, Memoir, Young Adult
Rating: 5/5 Stars

This is a collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends help to tell Esther's story, along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his number 1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.



This is an interesting book for me to review. While books are my thing, memoirs are not. Non fiction is not. And yet I'm going to attempt a review of this book, even though it will evidently be a bit difficult for me. I can't touch the topics of characters and plot. This is real life. Was someone's real life. It was Esther's.

Even though I never knew her, I feel as if I have a personal connection to Esther. If there's one thing I can talk about the way I normally do with this book, it's the writing. Esther, while she was simply jotting down journal entries, was a phenomenal writer. Everything she writes flows smoothly, and she has an extremely unique voice. You can tell it's her. She hasn't created anything fake in her journals - it's all made up of her thoughts, everything she thinks and feels.

What I find amazing is the true amount of optimism she seems to still obtain throughout her battle with cancer. She was just so happy all the time. I struggle to stay positive with the stress of school and just life in general, but Esther seemed so content. And she had cancer, which is something I know virtually nothing about.

That being said, there are times in the book when she sounds down and lonely, but they pale in comparison to all of the happy and loving thoughts she expressed in her endless array of notebooks. Besides, sad thoughts aren't bad. In fact, they're probably healthy once in a while. And such deep thoughts, too.

This book will probably make you cry, even if you're not a crier. I am a crier, which is something I've mentioned plenty of times before (I sob, actually), and that's exactly what I did in this book. Especially at a key part which I will not mention for those of you who haven't read it. I mean, Esther passed away in the summer of 2010, so it's probably easy to guess what that key part is about. Either way, I won't go into details.

Overall, this book is such an emotional journey. You will feel as if you personally know Esther and get an insight into her loving personality and kindness towards everyone. If you're in the mood for an inspiring tear-jerker, This Star Won't Go Out is the perfect fit.

1 comment:

  1. This book. I really want to read this book. I am not a big fan of memoirs either, but this one just seems to real and so touching, that I just feel like I have to pick this one up. I want to know her story and I want to get to know her. Thanks for reviewing this book, I will pick it up in the near future.

    ReplyDelete