February 2, 2014

Sunday Spiel: Authors Expressing Regrets on Books


Hey guys! If you're in the Harry Potter fandom, you probably already know what I'm going to be talking about.

Before I get into this, I'd just like to say these are my opinions. I am in no way saying that you should have these opinions or that mine are correct. This is simply a post open to discussion, and you're free to share your opinions as well. :) I love hearing them!

Every author has regrets about the books they've written. I'm sure they look over them and think "why did I even write that?" or "what was I thinking?" at some point. But most of the time these thoughts stay private - authors don't really want to voice these opinions and regrets. And why would they?

But recently J.K. Rowling expressed regrets in an interview about putting Ron and Hermione together. She said she originally meant for Harry to end up with Hermione, and that Ron probably wouldn't have been good enough for her. If you'd like to see exactly what she said, click here.

Anyway, I'm a serious Romione shipper, so this made me really upset. First of all, that J.K. Rowling would voice these regrets to the public and not seem to give them any serious thought, and secondly that she thinks Ron wouldn't be good enough for Hermione. (I do realize that I'm getting upset over these characters as if they're real people. I can't help it.)

It seems that the hero always gets the girl, and there's always that one character who is left behind or forgotten. In most books, this would have been Ron, which is part of the reason I like Ron and Hermione's relationship so much. Ron, just an average guy like everyone else, gets the girl for once. Not Harry, who's the hero. The fact that their relationship was built up over the entire series, and it took until the final book for them to admit their feelings to each other, is also another aspect I like.

To me, Harry and Hermione's friendship is something really special, and I can't imagine Hermione marrying or being in love with anyone but Ron. What J.K. Rowling said obviously won't change the books, but it did make me think a little more. It also caused me to have actual feelings about authors expressing regrets on their books. Personally, I think those thoughts should be kept to themselves.

Sorry this post turned into more of a rant than a discussion. Oops!

Do you agree with what I'm saying or disagree? Leave comments below! :)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking to that original post! I've been hearing snippets around the blogosphere...but I haven't found the actual post to read! I'm new to the HP fandom (like, um, I'm on book 4 for the first time), so I haven't even got to the serious shipping yet. I totally get why authors regret things they've written though. I do. (Not that I'm published or anything. I'm just a writer so far.) But I guess, when the book is published, it's up to the fans to love or hate it. But I toooootally understand the feelings of regret. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, book four! How are you liking it?

      But yeah, I totally agree. The feelings of regret are always going to be there. It's whether you voice them or not - that's when it gets complicated.

      Delete
  2. I like Ron and Hermione as a couple and wouldn't want it any other way. BUT I could see Hermione and Harry as a couple. I never really got all that invested in shipping people with the Harry Potter books so this doesn't really bother me. But I don't see anything wrong with Miss Rowling expressing this sentiment. It's kind of like a behind-the-scenes look. But she did say that Hermione and Ron were a "form of wish-fulfillment" which counts for something if you ask me. She wanted them together but with her 20/20 hindsight, she believes Harry and Hermione would have been more appropriate for the plot. But even towards the end, Hermione really could have gone either way with who she ended up with. I think it's an interesting fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally couldn't see Hermione and Harry as a couple, but I see what you're saying. I think for me it was more about the fact that Ron would be alone, because I'm a bit attached to him, as well as the strong friendship I think Hermione and Harry have.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on this - FINALLY a sidekick gets the girl. I think it is normal for authors to wish they had done something different, but in cases where they are so super popular and beloved by their fans, maybe they should keep those wishes to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I mean, they have every right to voice them, but I personally don't think it's the best idea in the world.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you...authors need to keep that stuff to themselves! I can KIND OF see where she's coming from when it comes to Ron and Hermione, but I still ship them, and I feel like she broke a million readers' hearts when she made that comment. It kind of ruins it somehow. I really think that she should've just never said anything and let THE READER decide whether or not their relationship works. While I don't think it's necessarily super realistic, like you, I really really like that Ron gets the girl in the end. It's so sweet and so perfect. Rowling should've kept her big fat mouth shut! lol

    ReplyDelete