February 24, 2014

Goodbye, Rebel Blue by Shelley Coriell

Title: Goodbye, Rebel Blue
Author: Shelley Coriell
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
Publish Date: October 1, 2013
Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Young Adult
Rating: 3/5 Stars

Rebecca Blue is a rebel with an attitude whose life is changed by a chance encounter with a soon-to-be dead girl. Rebel (as she’s known) decides to complete the dead girl’s bucket list to prove that choice, not chance, controls her fate. In doing so, she unexpectedly opens her mind and heart to a world she once dismissed—a world of friendships, family, and faith. With a shaken sense of self, she must reevaluate her loner philosophy—particularly when she falls for Nate, the golden boy do-gooder who never looks out for himself. Perfect for fans of Jay Asher’s blockbuster hit Thirteen Reasons Why, Coriell’s second novel features her sharp, engaging voice along with realistic drama and unforgettable characters.

Goodbye, Rebel Blue isn't your average contemporary book. Well, it is, in a way, but at the same time it's unique. There are lots of things I loved and a few things I didn't, but overall it was an enjoyable read. As always, let's start with the bad to get on to the good.

It was slow. That's about as much as I can say in regard to the plot. I grew bored pretty easily, which is why it took me a while to read. It wasn't that there weren't any good points, or the events in the story were boring. I became uninterested mainly because there wasn't much of a climax. The story was flat almost all the way through. And while good characters can keep me interested even if the plot falls by the wayside, these characters weren't interesting enough to keep me entertained the entire time without a good plot line.

Secondly, (I seem to be having this problem with quite a few books lately, and I have no idea why) the characters were a bit flat for me. Not in the sense that they weren't well-rounded, but the book was - ironically so, as the plot was pretty slow - over too quickly for me to really get to know them. Either that, or I just didn't connect with them.

But I loved the bucket list idea. This book made me question the fact that haven't read very many books involving bucket lists. Now that I think about it, the grand total would probably come out to about two or three, which is really sad. Goodbye, Rebel Blue reminded me how much I love them, and how fun they are. I adored the contrast between Kennedy's list and Rebecca's. I also loved Rebecca's last two items on her bucket list, and how they were like their own sort of plot twist.

Rebecca's voice was excellent, though. If anything kept me reading until the end, it was her quirky, sarcastic comments and realistic outlook on life. Her character was gritty and true similar to the way Elise was from This Song Will Save Your Life.

Overall, Goodbye, Rebel Blue was an average but good contemporary read. Again, I would only recommend this to lovers of contemporary, because otherwise you might get bored a bit easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment