February 13, 2014

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Speak
Publish Date: December 2, 2010 (Reissue edition published July 16, 2013)
Genre: Romance, Contemporary, Young Adult
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. She is less than thrilled about boarding school in Paris - until she meets √Čtienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, he has it all - including a serious girlfriend. Will Anna get her French kiss?


There's no way I'll ever be able to fully explain my love for this book. There are just so many things to like about it. You all are probably aware of my complete adoration for contemporary. I was expecting this to be a little more fluffy than it was, but I was pleasantly surprised. While Anna and the French Kiss contained fluff, it wasn't made up entirely of fluff, and that made it much easier to read.

First off, the writing style. I've never seen anything like it. It was so casual, which is something that made it stand out. And it wasn't casual in a bad way. Sometimes books are written so eloquently that there's no realistic way the narrator could be a teenager. But this was written so normally that it really help bring out Anna and her personality, as well as still being good quality. I loved it. Even the dialogue, the banter back and forth, flowed well.

The characters were fantastic. There was strong character development, and it was not forced at all. I think a good word to sum up this entire book is natural. The writing flowed naturally. The characters acted naturally, the way everyday people would act, and even had all these unique quirks like they would in real life. The plot was just the right pace.

But Anna, oh my gosh. She reminded me of how I would act going into an environment like that (except she made friends way faster than I probably would have - she's not quite as shy as I am). And St. Clair. He reminded me a lot of Levi from Fangirl, but a bit different in the sense that he couldn't let go as easily as Levi could.

The one thing that bothered me a bit was the lack of description. Stephanie Perkins was so focused on the character development and the plot that it seemed like there wasn't enough time to fit it all in. This made it hard to envision some of the characters and places in the story. Other than that, I had no issues with the story.

Overall, Anna and the French Kiss is a sweet, real story of finding love in the place where you least expect it and learning to deal with the crazy situations you're thrown into. If you like YA contemporary, this is a must read.

8 comments:

  1. I think I would tooootally love this book! I'm not a fan of description (I prefer to make up whatever the heck I want in my head. I know! my bad!!) I love the sound of the plot and the title is adorable. :) Plus, the character is shy? Yay! I'm super shy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't read it yet? What are you waiting for?! It's so good, and perfect for when you want something fluffy but not too fluffy.

      Delete
  2. I so need to read this already. I think I might be one of the last people who haven't. I have an excuse though, really, I do. I wasn't a big fan on contemp until last year (bad excuse, I know). Sometimes simple and normal are the best ones, definitely more realistic, and in contemporary the works better that way I think. And I love that it's not just a cutesy one, because though I do like cutesy and light, sometimes I just wan a bit of extra something in there, you know? So this one sounds perfect! :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do! I was one of the last people as well, though, so you're not alone. But I definitely understand the whole contemporary thing. I know a lot of people who aren't huge fans but like the occasional good contemporary novel. :)

      Delete
  3. I read Anna and the French Kiss a few years ago and I remember loving it! I really enjoyed reading about St. Clair and his back story. I also never wanted to visit France until I had read this book. I thought the places seemed fun. I am also shy like you and I don't think I would make friends as easily as Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an amazing book. I recommend you reread it. I definitely will in the next year or so. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you got around to reading this. I knew as soon as I read it, that this was your kind of book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book. It was so good. I love St. Clair and Anna's emails over holiday!!

    -Jordan

    ReplyDelete