January 23, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday 1.21.14 (On Thursday)

Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Hello! I know I said I probably wasn't going to be back, but I lied. Well, at the time it wasn't lying, but I guess you could consider it a lie now.

Anyway, today's - Tuesday's - topic was things on our reading wishlist, or things we wish authors would write about. I don't know what it is, but something about this topic just throws me off. I don't love it. So I decided to change it up a bit, and instead make two lists. One with things I wish authors would stop writing about and one list with the things I wish they did write more about.

Things I Think Authors Should Stop Writing About

Vampires and werewolves. The only exception to this rule (for me) is The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. 

Love triangles. They were pretty great the first time around, but now they're just getting old.

Cliche boy-meets-girl love story. I've read so many books like this, and when I find one I really love along these lines - usually contemporary - it's unique in ways that the others aren't.

Insta-love. It doesn't happen, it's not realistic, and it makes me cringe. Need I say more?

Things I Think Authors Should Write About More Often

More relationships between friends and family. Sure, romance is great and all. But do we ever really get to see the relationships between family and friends? Those relationships exist, too, though it might not seem so judging by a lot of the books I've read.

YA books from the point of view of guys. This sounds sort of weird, but most YA protagonists are 17-year-old girls. It never seems to change. I've read both Beautiful Creatures and Let the Sky Fall (review can be found here if you're curious) which were both great books told - or partially told - from the POV of a guy.

Crazy plot twists. Okay, so this might not exactly be a topic to write about. But it is something you can include in your writing, and it's also something I feel like I don't see enough of. I ADORE plot twists. 

So that obviously wasn't a list of ten, but for some reason I'm having trouble thinking of anything else. But I did notice that about half of these half to do with romance, either lack-thereof or complaints about it being overdone.

What do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree? Share your thoughts below! And as always, I'll see you soon. :)

9 comments:

  1. If your interesting in books from a guy's perspective I'd suggest The Beginning of Everything (my review is on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much about that one! I've been hoping to read it for a while. I'll definitely check out your review - thanks for the suggestion! :)

      Delete
  2. I actually read heaps of books narrated by guys! I agree that the girls' POVs always outweigh though (why is that? Because most writers are women?). I'd reeeeally love to never see a love-triangle again! GAH. They are so tedious and are getting very, very old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll need a list, then! But yeah, you're probably right.

      I'm so tired of love triangles it's ridiculous. :P

      Delete
  3. Oh yes. I am SO tired of love triangles and insta-love. I avoided most vampire and werewolf books from the get go, but they seem to have mostly phased out now, so I'm happy. And I'd definitely love to see more family and friend relationships! All YA books seem to focus on is the romance. There are more relationships that that out there, people.

    And yes, yes, yes to plot twists. I love those so much! They're just like, "haha, that's what you thought. BAM. TAKE THAT."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They bother me so much! The vampire and werewolf books bother me, too, but you're right - they do seem to have phased out.

      Plot twists are the best. :)

      Delete
  4. YES to more books from a guy's perspective! That is so rare and most of the (few) books I've read that have a male protagonist have been really good. I'd love to read more books that star guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'd really like to see more of it in YA.

      Delete
  5. Also would love to see more novels from a guy's point of few. However I have read a few great ones: Dead to You by Lisa McMann for example. It was a very, very good book in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete