January 9, 2014

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Title: These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)
Authors: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publish Date: December 10, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance
Rating: 4/5 Stars

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.  
Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.  
Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever? 
Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.
A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.

*This review will contain minor spoilers.*

I'd heard so many good things about this book, so I was expecting a lot. On top of that, science fiction is not my thing. Not at all. And the premise seemed pretty general, even too insta-lovey for my liking. So it was going to take a lot for me to love this book.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. If I were to ever really get into science fiction, this would be the type of science fiction I would want to read. There were the combined elements of romance, a new planet, I survival story...and there were only a few things that seemed truly cliché.

In the beginning, I was completely drawn into the story. The descriptions were gorgeous and it really brought me into this entirely new world. When Tarver saw Lilac for the first time, it was a bit of the love-at-first-sight deal. But not unlike a lot of good books I've read recently, it wasn’t too bad. The only part that I didn’t like about this was the fact that Tarver didn’t know who Lilac was. According to the story she was completely famous and in the news all the time, so how could he not know who she was?

I loved how it was like Titanic in the sky (this is to be expected, though—Titanic is my favorite movie of all time). The ship crashed, but Lilac trusted Tarver even after she pushed him away and they got on an escape pod. Another element of this I really loved was the fact that even though Lilac wasn’t physically all that strong (which was to be expected, considering the fact that she was so rich she hadn’t had to lift a finger her entire life) she was still really good with the technical stuff because her father was an engineer. Because of this, she saved Tarver’s life almost as many times as he saved hers.

I will admit that I cried about three quarters of the way in, when the event occurred that I will not name for the sake of keeping this as spoiler-free as possible. It was terrible and perfect at the same time, and it kept the book from having too much of a happy ending (which, in my opinion, is a good thing).

One other issue I had was that it started to get slow about halfway through. I grew bored, as I usually do eventually with survival stories, but it did pick back up. It was only a minor lull. :)

The ending was extremely satisfying, almost to the point where I can’t picture what a sequel could possibly be about, much less a trilogy. The only thing I missed in this book that could be explored more was the extent of the world they live in. But we'll see!

Overall, I loved These Broken Stars and recommend it to all lovers of science fiction. If science fiction isn’t your thing, I would still give it a shot.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm so glad you liked it as much as I did! I definitely agree with you on everything 110%! Especially on how Lilac and Tarver were so well developed character-wise, and there romance was just downright awesome! Plus, the writing? Ahhh! So beautiful!

    Plus, how can you go wrong with a Titanic in space adaption, right? ;)

    Thanks for sharing, and as always, fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooved this book! EEEEK. It was just...oh, gosh, the feels overtook me. Especially with that twist at the end. I think it did drag a little in the middle. I had no idea it was going to be a survival story (I had no idea what'd it be about at all...I was just in love with the gorgeous front cover). I loved the contrast of Lilac and Tarver's personalities, too. And Tarver's sense of humour had me cracking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard fantastic things about this book, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it as well. I'm not much of a science fiction person either, and I put this book down out of boredom about 50 pages in, but your comments make me want to try it again. The fact that you mentioned a cry-worthy moment intrigues me, and I totally agree that it's good when a book's ending isn't too happy. Cheerful and hopeful endings aren't always bad, but if they are unrealistically so, I get annoyed.

    Thanks for the review! We'll see if I feel like giving this book another shot. :)

    ReplyDelete