January 6, 2014

Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall #1) by Shannon Messenger

Title: Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall #1)
Author: Shannon Messenger
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publish Date: December 3, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Rating: 4/5 Stars


Vane Weston should have died in the category-five tornado that killed his parents. Instead, he woke up in a pile of rubble with no memories of his past - except one: a beautiful, dark-haired girl standing in the winds. She swept through his dreams ever since, and he clings to the hope that she's real.  
Audra is real, but she isn't human. She's a sylph, an air elemental who can walk on the wind, translate its alluring songs, even twist it into a weapon. She's also a guardian - Vane's guardian - and has sworn an oath to protect him at all costs.  
When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both their families, Audra has just days to help Vane unlock his memories. And as the storm winds gather, Audra and Vane start to realize that the greatest danger might not be the warriors coming to destroy them, but the forbidden romance growing between them

I have not read a paranormal romance book like this in a while, and it is extremely refreshing. There are so many things I loved about it, and only a few that bothered me. Let's start from the beginning.

This book is far from slow. The beginning is gripping and intriguing, and I immediately wanted to read more. The plot was even-paced, even fast, all the way through, which kept me interested the entire time. 

One thing I really loved about this book was how the parents were actually involved. I don't know what it is about young adult paranormal novels (or even young adult in general) but the parents are always mysteriously absent. This makes no sense whatsoever. But in Let the Sky Fall they actually play a part in the plot, and this was really nice to see, as the whole absent parent thing is one of my book pet peeves. I'm hoping their part in the plot continues in the sequel.

The characters were strong, and they each had their own voice. Especially Vane. Vane was hilarious. I generally find that most books with dual POVs would be better just as one, but this was one of the best dual POVs I've read. You could tell who was talking no matter the circumstances. Another thing about the characters was that they were each their own type of frustrating (in a good way - the kind of frustrating where you just want them to make a decision already)!

The only complaint I have is that it felt slightly insta-lovey. I say slightly because I'm aware Vane has technically known Audra his entire life, if only in dreams (which ended up being the issue for me). For most of his life he didn't even know she was real, and how can you really be that in love with someone who possibly doesn't exist? On the flip side, I did like how because of unusual circumstances having to do with being a guardian, Audra wasn't supposed to fall in love with him - only guard him. This kept it from being as insta-lovey as it had the potential to be.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Let the Sky Fall and I'm anticipating the sequel, Let the Storm Break, which releases March 4.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I loved this book too! And the paperback cover is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete