December 17, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday 12.17.13

Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Hey everyone! Sorry I didn't get a review up yesterday. Things have been a little off because of exams. I'm so glad they're almost over. I should have a review up on Thursday, probably of the Fracture Me novella by Tahereh Mafi told from Adam's POV that came out today (as well as Dangerous Dream by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl).

Anyway, today's topic for Top Ten Tuesday is new to us authors we've discovered this year! There are so many good ones, I think this list may end up a bit long. I can barely believe this year is almost over. I'm going to list these in order of how I discovered them. :)

John Green - How did I not know about him before? When TFIOS made me sob my eyes out I knew I was going to have read everything he'd ever written.

Tahereh Mafi - Her writing is so poetic, and the Shatter Me trilogy is just so perfect. Fracture Me, which I mentioned above, is part of this series. The final book, Ignite Me, comes out next year. 

Cassandra Clare - The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices are such good books I don't know what to say. Cassandra Clare has a way of combining characters and plot to create magic.

Sarah Dessen - I'd heard of her before, but I hadn't ever read anything she's written. Now I understand all the hype. When I'm in the mood for a good contemporary book that will put me in a good mood, I pick up one of her books.

Jennifer Brown - I'd never heard of Jennifer Brown, but her contemporary novels deal with real issues, and because of that they can be a bit dismal. But her books are so well-written, and far from the fluffy contemporary you'd usually find in YA.

Sarah Ockler - So many contemporary authors! Sarah Ockler is quite similar to Sarah Dessen, but her books always seem to have some other little quirk to them. Her writing style is different as well.

Huntley Fitzpatrick - Again, contemporary. :) I read My Life Next Door this past summer and adored it. It was such a cute book, but not too fluffy either.

Michelle Hodkin - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was so creepy and addicting, I couldn't stop reading it. I was upset when the publish date was pushed back, but as long as I get the final book eventually I'm happy!

Laini Taylor - Fantasy is usually not my favorite genre, especially the kind of fantasy Laini Taylor writes. But her characters and world building are so intricate that you can't help but fall in love with her books. The writing is astounding, as well.

Kiera Cass - I adored The Selection, and while The Elite (review here) wasn't quite as good as I had hoped I still enjoyed reading it.

Marie Lu - Even though I have yet to read Champion, I've loved the Legend trilogy so far. If you haven't picked it up yet, I would definitely recommend it!

Morgan Matson - Possibly one of the best contemporary authors I've read, other than Sarah Dessen and John Green. Second Chance Summer (review here) made me cry so hard, and it was such a heartbreaking and moving book.

Rainbow Rowell - I've just recently read both Fangirl and Eleanor & Park (if you'd like to read my reviews, they're here and here), and I can barely take in the reality of her books and how well-written they are. If I could write like her, all of my life goals would be accomplished. :)

So that was a little over ten, even though I tried my best to remove some authors from the list. Oh, well. Happy Tuesday everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I love ALL your picks with the exception of Jennifer and Morgan, whose books I haven't read yet (hopefully in 2014!). Rainbow also made my list today. :)

    Mary @ Mary Had a Little Book Blog
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend Jennifer Brown's books and especially Morgan Matson's. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. There is so much love going around for Rowell this week, it is much deserved! She also made my list with Eleanor & Park! I really have to read Fangirl next! I discovered John Green's name this year myself. While I haven't read anything by him, I did just buy a copy of TFIOS. I'm sooo looking forward to reading it during the holiday break. :) Thanks to your concise explanations, I know I'll have to look into Sarah Dessen, Jennifer Brown, Sarah Ockler, and Huntley Fitzpatrick! I've heard of these ladies before, I just never knew what they brought to the table. Contemporary fiction is a tricky thing. Lovely list, Emma!

    Marlene @ The Flyleaf Review
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! Fangirl was such a good book. TFIOS is so great as well! Just a warning: you may cry.

      All of the contemporary authors on this list are my favorite! Thanks for stopping by and following. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh WOW, this is has been a stellar year in reading for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has! I've read so many great books.

      Delete
  4. I'm the same about fantasy, but Laini Taylor is just so great with her characters and world building that I loved it!! Thanks for stopping by my Top 10 as well!

    ReplyDelete