December 22, 2013

Sunday Spiel: Buying vs. Borrowing


Happy Sunday everyone! Today I'm going to be talking about something that seems to be an issue for me lately. I'm interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts. So here we go!

Before I get into this, I'd just like to say these are my opinions. I am in no way saying that you should have these opinions or that mine are correct. This is simply a post open to discussion, and you're free to share your opinions as well. :) I love hearing them!

Recently I've been battling with myself on whether or not I should buy books or get them from the library. Buying, at least for me, is the first choice. I love going to the bookstore and picking out a new book. I love flipping through the pages and starting the book before I buy it. I love taking it home and reading it and putting it on my bookshelf. I love being able to reread it any time I want. I love the way all my books look on the bookshelf.


Borrowing books always feels like a letdown, especially if I really enjoyed what I read. I want to keep it, you know? I want the freedom to be able to reread it. But instead I have to return it to the library so someone else can pick it up. I'll admit it - I'm pretty selfish about my books. I'd rather keep them than give them to others to read. (Though sometimes if I really loved the book I also love spreading the word so other people can love it too.)


Anyway, it really shouldn't be a question, right? I love buying books way more than I love borrowing them. So what's the problem?


Money. Money is the problem. I don't have enough money to buy every book I read. This is partly the reason why the only thing I put on my Christmas and birthday lists are books. It's the reason that books are the only things I ask for as gifts. But if there's a book I really want to read and can't afford at the time, sometimes I still don't get it at the library.


Why? I have absolutely no idea. There's something about the library I just really don't like (except for the fact that it's a place full of books). If I'm desperate, it's a no-brainer. But if I'm not, usually I'll wait until I have the money to buy it. Which could be never. 


Why do I do this to myself? I don't know. I'm completely frustrating.




Just think of all the money I'd have if I didn't buy every single book I ever wanted to read! I'd probably be rich. But instead I insist on paying for them so they can sit on my shelf, sometimes to never be read again. 


Another reason I like buying books is so I can mark them up. Not literally, because it feels like a sin if I actually write in a book (that's an entirely different conversation). But I may write little notes and put them in there on a sticky note. I suppose I could do that with a library book as well, but I wouldn't be able to leave the notes there to reference later. 


All in all, if I had an endless supply of money I would be completely fine. But I don't, so I'm not. *sighs* I'll probably continue to make myself broke by buying books instead of borrowing them.



What are your thoughts? Do you buy books or borrow them?

6 comments:

  1. This is a good topic! I feel like I have pretty much the same opinions about this as you, except that I borrow books from the library fairly often (a couple each month...maybe 5? sometimes more). But if I really, really like a book that I borrowed from the library, then I want to own it, and it sucks because then I have to decide if I want to spend my (hard-earned!) money on a book I've already read, or a brand-new one...and I think we all know who wins that battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I really should borrow books as often as you do but there's just something that keeps me from doing it.

      Delete
  2. I borrow books. There's nooooo way I can afford to buy books that I want! But I totally understand... :/ I hate sending books I love back to the library. I feel like they're MINE (heh...okay, sometimes this is a legit feeling, because I've asked the library to buy them, so kind of? Okay. No. But still!) I do like the freedom borrowing from the library gives, though. It gives me a time-frame to read in (sometimes I need the shove) and it also makes me not regret spending money on a book I don't like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should borrow books more than I do. And I totally agree! After reading and loving a book I feel like it's mine.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It means a lot. :)

      Delete
  3. I always borrow books. I was a serial book buyer back in high school, but now that I'm older I prefer to spend my money other things. Plus, there's no way I could afford the amount of books I read. Sometimes I feel bad because I feel like I'm not supporting the industry, but library usage does help, so at least there's that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I feel like even though I love buying books I find it becomes to expensive after a while.

      Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete