December 23, 2013

Dangerous Dream by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (Mini-Review)

Title: Dangerous Dream (Dangerous Creatures #0.5)
Authors: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publish Date: December 17, 2013
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy, Novella, Romance
Rating: 3/5 Stars

The #1 New York Times bestselling Beautiful Creatures series continues in this brand-new digital-exclusive story. 
Catch up with Ethan, Lena, and Link as they finally graduate from high school and get ready to leave the small Southern town of Gatlin. But when Dark Caster Ridley makes an appearance, the sometime bad girl can't resist picking a fight with her sometime boyfriend, Link. Angry and rebellious as ever, Ridley ends up alone in New York City and becomes entangled in the dangerous underground Caster club scene, where the stakes are high and losers pay the ultimate price. 
Where's a Linkubus when you need him?

Though I did enjoy reading this, I think I was expecting more from it than what I got. That being said, there were definitely some highlights I really loved, such as:
  • Hearing Ridley's thoughts. We know a lot about what Ridley thinks and feels just from the other characters' opinions of her, but we never actually get inside her head. Dangerous Dream gave us that chance, and it did not disappoint.
  • Seeing events from other perspectives. We already know a bit of what's happened in the beginning of the novella because it happened in one of the actual books. But we get to see it more in-depth and from other perspectives, which is nice.
While I enjoyed these few aspects, there were a handful of things I couldn't look past.
  • Ethan's POV in the beginning. It was pretty useless. The novella was about Link and Ridley, but we got this strange, completely unnecessary narration with Ethan in the beginning.
  • The entire beginning. Now that I think about it, the entire beginning was basically pointless. I'd rather just jump into the actual story than hear an introduction that belongs in a different book.
  • The length. It was so short! I know it's supposed to be a novella, but this felt short even for that.
Overall, Dangerous Dream was worth the read, but I'm a bit more hesitant about the upcoming Dangerous Creatures series than I was previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment