October 15, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday 10.15.30

Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

So today we're talking about books we were forced to read! There are so many of these, but I picked a handful of the most recent ones - some I loved, some I didn't.

Fever by Laurie Halse Anderson - I was assigned this for school a few years ago, and was anticipating trudging through a completely drab and boring book, but when I began reading, I immediately loved it!

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - Again, this was assigned to me a year or two ago. I was a little skeptical, but knew I would adore it the moment I read the first page. Needless to say, I ended up crying my eyes out when I reached the end (partly because it was over, and partly because the ending was ridiculously sad).

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodge Burnett - I have nothing to say about this book, except that I absolutely hated it. Boring, drab, and all that jazz. I don't understand the appeal whatsoever.

Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli - This wasn't a bad book, though I didn't like it as much as I would have hoped. I remember it was quite sad, though, and probably not something I would enjoy re-reading.

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson - I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. It was somewhat
enjoyable, though it did grow very slow in some parts and I had to force myself to keep reading. But I did like the characters, and I think I may have cried towards the end (which isn't saying much, since I cry at the smallest sad things).

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - Similar to Hattie Big Sky, I didn't love or hate this book. Though I have to say, I did like it slightly less than Hattie Big Sky, as fantasy isn't my thing and I struggled to grow accustomed to Tolkien's writing (hence my excuse for not having begun the LOTR).

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I despised the first hundred or so pages of this book. After that, it didn't quite get better, but I got comfortable with the writing pace and characters, and was upset when it ended - I became attached to the story and the people in it, mainly because I spent so much time with it (the book is around five hundred pages long, even with a small font).

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie - It's somewhat of a coincidence that I mentioned this book in my last post, too. :) Anyway, despite being thoroughly freaked out, I had fun with this book - the plot line, the characters, everything.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - This is one of my new favorite assigned reading books! I really loved the messages it sent and the characters in this novel - it's definitely one I'll be re-reading.

A Midsummer Night's Dream by (you guessed it) William Shakespeare - ...the first and only Shakespeare I've read so far, and I adored it. I can't wait to read more of his works!

What about you? Any assigned reading books you liked/didn't like? Share your thoughts!

1 comment: