October 1, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday 10.1.13

Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

So this week's Top Ten Tuesday is book turn-offs! You know, those aspects of a novel that make you so undeniably frustrated you can't help but throw the book across the room, or at the very least put it down? Yeah. Those things.

The first book turn-off I'd like to talk about is grammar mistakes. In finished copies you bought. With money. If I'm paying for a final, published copy of a book, and I love the writing quality, characters, plot - everything - but it is filled with grammar mistakes, it could be enough to make me put the book down.

Second is repetitive words - a sign of a lazy author and bad writing. I have nothing else to say about this. If you are a writer (like me, as I will admit to being guilty of this as well), resist the temptation. Don't do it. One exception would be if it's a placeholder until you can find the right word. But otherwise, avoid it altogether.

Next up is a weak main character. Now, I don't have anything against a main character who is not quite as physically or even emotionally strong, but if it doesn't add anything to the story, then, in my opinion, it is taking away.

I don't think it's humanly possible to meet someone and fall in love the moment you lock eyes. So don't even think about slipping insta-love into your story. Yeah, maybe there's some attraction when you first meet someone. But not love. Not. Love. In addition to this, insta-love is not a plot line. It is a terrible plot point that will do nothing for the story or the characters.

Going along with the whole insta-love theme, I am so tired of love triangles it's ridiculous - and I see that I'm not alone. But when there's insta-love AND a love triangle... *shudders* I don't even want to talk about it.

Unrealistic characters or reactions also drive me crazy. There is no such thing as a perfect guy or girl without any flaws, just like there's no such thing as not having much acknowledgement or emotion when your little sister dies. This aspect of a story seems like it would be the easiest to write, with so many real-life examples surrounding you, but it looks as if it's difficult for authors to get right.

Out of the blue plot twists. I absolutely adore those rare times when a well-written plot twist comes your way, but if it would only happen in someone's imagination, it's not going to happen in real life. Which means it shouldn't happen in a book. Technically it can, but it shouldn't.

Another big turn-off for me is whiny characters. I didn't pick up a book to listen to someone complain about their tragic, boring life the whole time. If they think it's so terrible, why don't they go do something about it?

Over-used ideas. Don't write a book everyone else has written. Nobody wants to read something they've already read. Write your own novel. Otherwise, why are you writing it in the first place?

And last but most certainly not least, animal abuse. I'm not going to read a book where an animal dies, or is shot or abused or killed or hurt in any way. And if I do, I will cry. (*cough cough* Delirium by Lauren Oliver *cough*)

That's my list! Do you agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh animal abuse. I have to put the book down. I can't take it. Awesome list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your grammatical mistakes pet peeve, and I also included that on my list. I just don't understand how tons of people read a book before it is published to check for grammar and content, and they still manage to miss errors that I pick out instantly. Luckily, most of the books that I find errors in are from the library, so I haven't paid for them. I have noticed that more of the recently published books have errors.
    Check out my TTT list: http://booksavvyblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spelling and grammar mistakes are the reason why I will rarely read self-pubbed books anymore. I came across too many instances of this in free Kindle books. Granted, they were free, so I can't complain too much. But if I actually paid for them, as you did, I'd be highly irritated.

    As for love triangles, I wish authors would avoid them. There are so few who know how to write them in an even remotely realistic way.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with everything you said!Especially grammar mistakes.They're so annoying some times.And love triangles?Not a big fan either!Thanks for stopping by my TTT post!Happy Reading

    Elena @ Book Lady's Reviews

    ReplyDelete