October 18, 2013

Let's Talk: Re-Reads


Let's Talk is a weekly feature hosted by I Swim For Oceans. It's a discussion post with questions or prompts that have to do with books and reading (what else?). :)


Do you ever re-read books that didn't work for you the first time around but have them work the next time? Has it ever worked the opposite for you?

This worked for me with a couple books - The Maze Runner and Beautiful Darkness, the sequel to Beautiful Creatures.
This wasn't exactly a re-read, but I struggled to read it initially. It was somewhat slow, and I was bored for a while before I really got into it. When I did get into it, I ended up really enjoying it and moving on to the next two books in the series. 

Beautiful Darkness was another book I struggled to get into. It fell into the category of those cliche sequels where the couple has relationship problems and is avoiding them for one reason or another...it just didn't appeal to me. However, when I reread it, I found I liked it much more than I had previously believed. Everything became better - the characters, plot, and overall theme. I'm not exactly sure why, but all I know is that it's now one I would willingly reread for a third time. :)

There are two others, but this time they're books I read and loved, and then reread and loved even more. These two books are Looking for Alaska by John Green and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. The Help isn't YA, but I read it a few years ago and still reread my favorite parts sometimes. It makes me cry every time, as does Looking for Alaska.

That's all for today! Any thoughts? I love comments. :)

2 comments:

  1. I probably wouldn't ever re-read a book that I didn't like the first time around, because I feel like it's such a waste of them when there are so many other amazing books I could be reading.

    But what you said about Beautiful Darkness intrigues me, because I really didn't like that one when I read it. I've actually been struggling with the series as a whole, and I'm not sure whether I'll end up reading the last one.

    I still probably won't read it again, but it's interesting to think that your opinions could change after time. I think it really depends on the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you can re-read a book and find that it has so much more value. I swear that just means the world to me! :)

    ReplyDelete