September 3, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday 9.3.13

Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week the topic is books I wish were taught in schools. It's so upsetting to have to force myself to read boring required reading books, which is why I love this topic--it seems like such a waste of good literature, considering all the good books I've read and loved in my life!


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher - Something about this book is just so beautiful, even though it's definitely a darker topic. I feel like people would learn a lot about other people and what they go through.


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling - This one's a given! Aside from just a great story, we also get a lot about friendship, bravery, and our own strength from the entire series.


The Giver by Lois Lowry - Again, a given. It's such a mysterious book, and you really have to look deeper for the hidden meanings Lowry has so cleverly slipped into plot lines and a futuristic world.



The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen - I absolutely ADORE this book, and it has an extremely powerful message--a lot about moving on and letting go. Schools would seriously benefit from making this required, and it's far from boring.


Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - Another powerful message, and such an interesting vantage point. This was the first book I read by Laurie Halse Anderson, and it definitely got me hooked on her novels.


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys - This book taught me so much, and really opened my eyes about (terrible) parts of our history. I cried the entire time, but it was worth it. It's such a real story, and while dark, I think it should be required reading for everyone--not just students.


Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - I think the main thing I took with me from this book was one important point: that everyone can be redeemed, and everyone deserves redemption. It doesn't take much for a seemingly bad person to be good, especially if that person really cares about changing themselves.


Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler - I love everything Sarah Ockler writes, but I think this book says so much about life in general. Secrets aren't always buried for the best of reasons, and truth can be the most meaningful, even if it's the most painful.


Divergent by Veronica Roth - Divergent says a lot about people--their habits, ways of life, strengths and weaknesses as a whole. It couldn't be better suited for schools.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - And last but most certainly not least, The Fault in Our Stars. Aside from making me sob, this novel has so much to offer in terms of the struggle of letting go and dealing with the pain and joys of everyday life.

So that's my list. Agree? Disagree? Share your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I chose the Harry Potter as well, great minds must think a like cause about ten other people chose it.
    Here is my TTT
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-books-that-should-be-required.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must! Harry Potter is always a given for me.

      Delete
  2. I TOTALLY agree with you on Between Shades of Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree about Speak. It's such a great book! A lot of schools actually are putting it on the curriculum now, so hooray for the human race! :) Great list.

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great choices! I think Speak would be a very important novel to read in school. Harry Potter is being taught in some colleges, which is cool. :) And I actually read The Giver in grade school.

    ReplyDelete