September 3, 2013

The Transfer: A Divergent Story by Veronica Roth (Mini-Review)

Title: The Transfer: A Divergent Story (Divergent, #0.1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publish Date: September 3, 2013 (Today! *squeals*)
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Short Stories
Rating: 5/5 Stars

More Four! Fans of the Divergent series by #1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth will be thrilled by "The Transfer," the first of four new short stories told from Four’s perspective. Each brief story explores the world of the Divergent series through the eyes of the mysterious but charismatic Tobias Eaton, revealing previously unknown facets of his personality, backstory, and relationships.

The synopsis is completely correct. You should've seen me today in full fangirl mode. :)

It's been a while since I've read Divergent and Insurgent--long enough for me to forget Veronica Roth's writing style and how smooth, fast-paced, and intriguing it is. Just reading this made me wish I hadn't read the Divergent books yet so I could read them for the first time again.

Because this is a mini-review, I'll be posting in short bullet points with a simple explanation. (I don't think I've ever posted a mini-review before, so I figured I'd mention what I'm about to do--this is how it'll go from now on!)
  • Intrigue. Veronica Roth never fails to make us interested and excited immediately, even about a 50-page short story. I was pulled in and didn't put it down (or, rather, my phone, since I read it on the Kindle app) until I had read the last word, at which point I wanted more.
  • Character development. Before you say anything like, "Emma, this is a 50-page short story, just as you mentioned above. There couldn't possibly be any character development!" I want you to be sure I'm serious. Because I'm not lying. Tobias develops, even if not much, in this short period. He goes from small, weak son of his intimidating, abusive father to a strong, quick-witted, individual member of Dauntless. 
  • Writing Style. Roth's writing is so smooth, with a strong voice and plenty of emotion.
Overall, I really loved reading a small snippet of Tobias' life we would never have seen by simply reading the regular novels, and I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment