September 27, 2013

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

Title: The Chaos of Stars
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publish Date: September 10, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Mythology, Fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up. 
Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal. 
Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.
I bought this book despite my mixed feelings about it. I had heard extremely good things from readers, but the only other book I’d read by Kiersten White was Mind Games, and needless to say, I didn’t enjoy it. To be honest, I didn’t know what to think.

I’m glad I gave this book a chance.

This is the first novel I’ve read where the character’s personality is so definite and unique I was upset when it ended– I wouldn’t get to read from her point of view anymore. Isadora is sassy, brave, and honest. She grows noticeably – even within such a short period of time – but not so much so that it would have been unrealistic.

Another aspect of this book I enjoyed was the lack of insta-love. Isadora and Ry’s relationship develops over the entire novel, and they’ve finally put their struggles behind them by the time the book ends. Their love was strong, built of off interaction and mixed feelings. In other words, it had a base, whereas in other novels a couple is in love the moment they meet – in real life, this isn’t accurate or even plausible. 

Let’s talk about the mythological piece of The Chaos of Stars. I’ve never loved Egyptian mythology (compared to Greek mythology – and, I’m just going to come out and say it, the Percy Jackson books – I have always found it drab and boring), but Kiersten White gets us excited to learn more about it. The mythology itself adds so much to the novel, and I love the fact that she tied in Greek mythology towards the end. This way we really are getting all sides of the story the author is trying tell to us.

The only problem I had with this book was the lack of…a little extra something. Maybe the effort was the problem. The book seemed to be written in a rush, as it was very short and wasn’t completely in-depth. I feel we could have gotten much more of the story if the author had dug a little deeper.

Overall, I loved The Chaos of Stars and am glad I gave White’s books another chance.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like Mind Games or Paranormalcy by White, so I'm kinda hesitant to read this one. It does sound interesting, though! I'm glad you liked it, and Isadora sounds cool! Maybe at some point I will give it a shot! =)

    ReplyDelete