August 2, 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin Books
Publish Date: May 7, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Apocalyptic, Romance
Pages: 457
Rating: 4/5 Stars

The Passage meets The Hunger Games in a gripping new series from Carnegie-shortlisted Rick Yancey. After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one. Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave. On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, until Cassie meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope for rescuing her brother and even saving herself. Now she must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up. Cassie Sullivan gets up.


Cassie Sullivan's life was great, even perfect. That was, until the mothership invaded Earth. Until the 1st wave. Until the 3rd Wave even, before her mother passed away from the virus that killed millions of others.

I have to admit, I was skeptical when I first heard about this book (and even after I saw the gorgeous cover). The apocalypse and science fiction books aren't really my favorite, even though I do like dystopian. But I picked it up because it seemed a little different from the others.

The moment I finished the prologue, I knew I had made a good choice. The writing was excellent, I already loved and was rooting for the main character, and the plot was moving along steadily--even with the frequent flashbacks.

This book made me cry more than two three four times. Maybe more. And the first time I cried, I wasn't even 100 pages into the book yet. The characters are so touching and real. Especially Cassie, Ben, and Evan--Sammy and Ringer, too. I cared about them all (almost as if they were people) in different ways. If you're curious, here's a summary of my reactions as I was reading. Be aware, it contains quite a lot of fangirling. :) *It does contain spoilers, so don't read it unless you've read the book.*

Page 82: *crying*
Page 131: Oh my gosh Ben's alive!
Page 136: The description of Cassie was perfect.
Page 140: This book is ingenious.
Page 153-156: I love Cassie so much. I already love Evan Walker so much. I love this book so much.
Page 161: I shall never think of Hershey kisses the same way again.
Page 173: *laughs obnoxiously loud*
Page 222: Oh my god Ben becomes the squad leader for Sammy and poor Sammy and asdfjkl.
Page 228: *crying again*
Page 345: I knew it!
Page 358: *crying again*
Page 380: YES!
Page 425: *crying again* This book is too much for me to handle.
Last Page: Okay so where's the next one?

There were only two problems I had with this book.

Around halfway through--a week or two after Cassie met Evan and was staying in the farmhouse, and when Ben was first introducing us to Camp Haven--it lulled a little bit. The pace of the book slowed, and I was bored for about fifty pages. It did pick up again, though.

In addition to this, a few times the descriptions of the action were a little confusing. Sometimes characters "teleported." They were doing one thing over here and then all of a sudden doing something over there. I do know that books with a lot of action do go pretty fast, and sometimes those parts are really quick, but something about it seemed off.

Other than these two things, this book made me cry and laugh and smile. It was witty and smart and the idea was completely original.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. :) I can't wait for the second one to come out! I think it's going to be published in May of next year, but I can't even imagine waiting that long!

      Delete