August 25, 2013

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publish Date: January 29, 2013
Genre: Science Fiction, Young Adult, Action, Adventure, Romance
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. 
It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.  
But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong? 
In this highly-anticipated sequel, Lu delivers a breathtaking thriller with high stakes and cinematic action.

I'm very conflicted about this book.

It took me a long time to finish it because I couldn't get into it. It picked up at about 200 pages in. Over the course of those first 200 pages, I flirted with the idea of putting it down and picking up one of the more interesting-looking books I'd gotten from the library. Nothing was happening--the entire thing consisted of planning to murder the Elector. Planning, planning, planning. Fights between June and Day, Tess and Day, tension between June and Tess. More planning. I don't think I've ever been more frustrated.

Let's talk about the love interest in this book, because it was also extremely frustrating. We begin with June and Day together, but we find out about one hundred pages in that Tess has a serious crush on Day. I can handle that no problem. But when Day imagines himself with Tess and thinks they're a good match, I was ready to throw the book across the room. It's clear that the relationship between Tess and Day is a brother-sister relationship--anything different would just be weird and out of place.

Then the idea is brought up of Anden and June. I have to say, I wouldn't be completely opposed to this. Normally I would have a serious problem with a similar pairing. (For example: Juliette and Warner in the Shatter Me trilogy.) But then again, it wasn't really something I expected, and I don't think it worked all that well for the story. June gets captured so that we will be able to kill Anden, and instead she develops feelings for him. And while I don't ship them, I definitely like Anden as a character.

Another reason why June frustrated me: she doesn't even try to give Day any other kind of warning about the assassination other than the signal they both agreed on. He has no idea what stop means. And yet the botching of the assassination turned out completely fine. Something about that doesn't add up--the plan to back out on the assassination should have failed.

At the same time, the second half of the book was enjoyable. It had the same fast, action-packed quality that I loved so much in Legend, and the entire story really picked up. This half is the part of the book I really enjoyed, which makes me conflicted about the fact that I really disliked the first half.

I would still pick up Prodigy--it's definitely worth it, especially because Champion is coming out in November and Legend was excellent, too. Just know that you have to sit through the boring stuff to get to the good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Just read Legend! I can't wait to see what happens in this one! I can't read your review just yet, because I don't want to know anything that happens until I read it myself!

    Lisa
    Become Blogger of the Week:
    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/p/blogger-of-week.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legend is such a good book! Sorry, my reviews do contain a few spoilers here and there. :)

      Delete