July 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday 7.30.13


Top Ten Tuesday is a book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is Top Ten Favorite Beginnings/Endings In Books. I've decided to do five beginnings and five endings. :) Oh, and PLEASE don't look at the endings unless you want them to be spoiled!

Beginnings

1. Wither by Lauren DeStefano - "I wait. They keep us in the dark for so long that we lose sense of our eyelids. We sleep huddled together like rats, staring out, and dream of our bodies swaying." This just makes you wonder. What is she waiting for? Why are they in the dark?

2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - "The circus arrives without warning." I don't think this really needs an explanation.

3. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - "Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death." I think this is debatably the best first sentence of a book I've ever read in my entire life.

4. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - "They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me." This book has the best prologue. And this sentence just makes me shiver. She dies?

5. The Maze Runner by James Dashner - "He began his new life standing up, surrounded by cold darkness and stale, dusty air." James Dashner has made us wonder--he's beginning a new life? Why? Who is he? It makes us want to read on.

Endings

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - "It lived! And nothing could destroy it. Once more she looked at Florry Wendy reading on the fire escape. "Goodbye, Francie," she whispered. She closed the window." Yes, I know this is a classic. But it was too good to pass up. After everything, this is Francie seeing a girl who is just like she was. This is Francie saying goodbye to her childhood.

2. Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl - "Lena laughs at the way I always fill my cup as full as it can go. I feel her smiling in her sleep. I raise my glass to the moon and drink it myself. Life has never tasted sweeter." The best ending to the series ever.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - "The scar had not pained Harry in nineteen years. All was well." I was definitely crying at the end of this series. At the end of the movie I do, too. It gets me every time.

4. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi - "I'm not afraid of anything anymore. Mass chaos is in my future. And I'm leaving my gloves behind." Juliette is saying that she's not afraid of herself anymore. She's going to be who she is and that's all. This is such a powerful ending, and I love it.

5. The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen - "But I knew where I came from. No matter where I was, or what got me there, I would always feel at home when I touched sand." The latest Sarah Dessen book, and by far one of her best.

So what do you think? Do you have any favorites?

4 comments:

  1. I love so many of the books you picked! I completely forgot about The Maze Runner, but that really was a crazy start. I had no idea what was going on for much of the beginning of that one. :)
    Happy TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The beginning of The Maze Runner definitely drew me in. :)

      Delete
  2. Thumbs up for Wither and Unravel Me. I still need to read Before I Fall... I've had it for a looong time, but for whatever reason skip it every time I browse my bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely try it out! Samantha is hard to get used to because she's sort of a terrible person, but she changes for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete