July 26, 2013

Let's Talk: Reading Habits



Let's Talk is a weekly feature hosted by I Swim For Oceans. It's a discussion post with questions or prompts that have to do with books and reading (what else?). :)

Describe your reading habits.

It took me a minute to think about this. What are my reading habits? Do I really have any? But as I thought about it, I realized I do. 

I read for long periods of time, curled up on the couch not moving for hours until I finish the book (or at least half of it). I find that if I try to read a few chapters throughout the day, I can't focus. It's easier for me to just sit with the book and devour it. 

While I read, I tend to make notes in my head about what I like and dislike, even if I'm not going to review it. It's a habit I developed as I grew to become a more avid reader.

This may seem strange, but sometimes I time how long it will take me to finish/read a book. I determine how many pages I can read a minute (depending on the size of the words and pages) and use that and the number of pages in the entire book to calculate approximately how long it will take me.

I read anywhere and everywhere. Literally. While crossing roads, in the grocery store, while going up and down stairs, free time in class, parties that I don't necessarily want to be attending, etc.

Even if I absolutely can't stand a book, I force myself to finish it. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure why. It's just something that I've always done--and I'm sure will continue to do, even though it doesn't make much sense. 

So those are my reading habits. What about you? Any reading habits you picked up?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up this week, Emma! I used to be a lot like you with forcing myself to finish books I didn't love. I think blogging so long has convinced me it's just not worth it these days, you know? I love that you make mental notes throughout a book though! So smart!

    I'm your newest follower, doll :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And yeah, I know what you mean.

      Thanks for following! :)

      Delete