July 21, 2013

Beat the Heat Readathon


Starting July 29th, I'll be participating in the Beat the Heat Readathon, which is hosted by Auntie Spinelli Reads and Phantasmic Reads. The objective is to read as much or as little as you want--you can set your own goal--for two weeks, until August 11th. If you're curious, you can read more about it here.

I thought I'd use this as an opportunity to read some of the books on my bookshelf that I've bought but haven't read yet (and as an excuse to go to the library)! There are three books I have on my bookshelf that I'd like to read. The first one is Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. 

Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

I never got around to reading this, but I've heard lots about it, so we'll see how it goes. I may or may not continue with the series depending on how much I like it.

The second book is Being Friends With Boys by Terra Elan McVoy. She's written a few other books that I've heard about, but I've never read anything by her before. I picked up this book at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago but never got the chance to actually start reading it.

Charlotte and Oliver have been friends forever. She knows that he, Abe, and Trip consider her to be one of the guys, and she likes it that way. She likes being the friend who keeps them all together. Likes offering a girl's perspective on their love lives. Likes being the behind-the-scenes wordsmith who writes all the lyrics for the boys' band. Char has a house full of stepsisters and a past full of backstabbing (female) ex-best friends, so for her, being friends with boys is refreshingly drama-free...until it isn't any more. 
When a new boy enters the scene and makes Char feel like, well, a total girl...and two of her other friends have a falling out that may or may not be related to one of them deciding he possibly wants to be more than friends with Char...being friends with all these boys suddenly becomes a lot more complicated. 

And the final book I bought but never read is Elemental by Antony John. I actually picked this up at a book signing where I met Lauren Oliver (if you haven't heard of her, I suggest you look her up). She was there at a panel with three other authors, and Antony was one of them. So I decided to buy his book and get it signed, but I still haven't read it yet!

Sixteen-year-old Thomas has always been an outsider. The first child born without the power of an Element—earth, water, wind or fire—he has little to offer his tiny, remote Outer Banks colony. Or so the Guardians would have him believe. 
In the wake of an unforeseen storm, desperate pirates kidnap the Guardians, intent on claiming the island as their own. Caught between the plague-ridden mainland and the advancing pirates, Thomas and his friends fight for survival in the battered remains of a mysterious abandoned settlement. But the secrets they unearth will turn Thomas’ world upside-down, and bring to light not only a treacherous past but also a future more dangerous than he can possibly imagine.

So I'm hoping to knock out these three books, along with maybe a few others! As far as a goal goes, these three books are the goal.

So from July 29th to August 11th I'll be reviewing these three (hopefully) and I'll probably go to the library and pick up a few more books, too! I'm hoping to read around 5-7 books including the three above.

Since I'm new to the whole blogging thing, I'm excited to participate in something! We'll see how this goes. :)

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you'll be joining us! All the books you've picked look good, but Elemental looks amazing :)

    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely excited to finally get around to reading Elemental. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you have some great books picked out to read.
    Good luck on meeting your goals and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw that you have The Moon and More, The Elite, and Beautiful Darkness on your list. The Beautiful Creatures series is awesome, and I love Sarah Dessen and The Selection trilogy, too. I'm anxious to hear what you think!

      Delete